Fit to A Tee Recipes
Thanksgiving Side Dishes
1 cup sugar 1 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries
¾ cup water 2-3” sticks of cinnamon
3 whole cloves 3 whole allspice (optional)
½ cup raisins (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
grated zest of 1 orange
- Mix sugar, water and spices in a saucepan over med-low heat. Bring to a slow boil.
- Cook until syrup is clear.
- Add cranberries and raisins and cook just until berries pop, about 5 minutes.
- Add zest of orange and let cool. Refrigerate for up to a week.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Corn Flake Topping
Preheat oven to 400º
- 22 oz red skin sweet potatoes (yams: about 2 large ones) peeled, cut into 1” pieces
- 6 TBLS unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 6 TBLS sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice (or ¼ tsp each nutmeg, ginger, cloves + 1 tsp cinnamon)
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup NO FAT evaporated milk
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender: about 15 minutes. Drain. Transfer to large bowl and add butter. Beat or mash until smooth (or whatever consistency you prefer). Add, egg, sugar, spices and salt. Blend.
- Put in 8X8 baking dish (Can prepare ahead to this point and refrigerate. Bring to room temp before proceeding)
- Bake at 400º until beginning to brown around the edges and slightly puffed, about 25 minutes.
1 ½ cups corn flakes, roughly crushed (do not use corn flake crumbs, they are too fine)
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
6 TBLS unsalted butter, melted
Mix all ingredients together. Spoon evenly over baked potatoes. Bake about another 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Looking for something to do? Join Coach K on Youtube as she makes a class favorite
LEMON POPPYSEED CRISPS Source: Martha Stewart PREHEAT OVEN TO 350* Makes About 30 cookies INGREDIENTS: ¼ cup fresh lemon juice - about 2 large lemons or 3 small ones 3 ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest DIVIDED-3 large lemons 1 cup (2 sticks) room temp unsalted butter DIVIDED 2 cups all-purpose flour (½ white ½ wheat is fine) 1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp table salt 1 ½ cup sugar. DIVIDED 1 CUP & A ½ CUP 1 large egg 1 TBLS poppy seeds (they’re still good if you don’t have these)
Bring lemon juice to a slow boil. WATCHING CAREFULLY, cook until it is reduced to 1/8 cup. (3-5 minutes) Remeasure it in a LIQUID measuring cup.
Stir 1 stick of the room temperature butter into the warm lemon juice. Set aside.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt
Cream the other stick of butter with 1 c sugar until smooth. Then add the egg and reserved lemon butter. BEAT for 3 minutes until pale yellow. Then add vanilla and 2 tsp of the lemon zest
Add the flour mixture and the poppyseeds. Mix just until flour is incorporated. NOTE: IF IT SEEMS TOO THIN ADD UP TO ½ CUP MORE FLOUR! Chill for 20 minutes or more.
Mix ½ cup sugar and the rest of the zest (1 ½ tsps)
Roll the chilled dough into golf ball size balls. Roll the balls in the sugar/zest mixture.
Placing the balls 2” apart, bake on parchment lined cookie sheets 12-14 minutes. Cool and enjoy!
Lemon Poppy Seed Crisps recipe